EL JADIDA

EL JADIDA

IT WEARS ITS HEART ON ITS SLEEVE

Situated on a magnificent sandy beach that forms the main focal point of the city, El Jadida lies some 62 miles south of Casablanca. A Portuguese fortress for over 250 years, it went by the name of Mazagan, much of the majestic moated Medina still stands today, although the city was raised to the ground,when recaptured in 1769 by Morocco, who renamed the town El Jadida, meaning “The New”. Another remaining remnant of Portuguese ingenuity is the awesome subterranean cistern, where pillars and vaulted ceilings give the impression of church crypt. Shafts of sunlight shimmer on the water, purveying a haunting atmosphere which was encapsulated to perfection when chosen as the setting for the Orsen Welles film production of Othello.